Quaker Cemetery was established in 1758 by the pioneer
settlers of northern Mendham Township who founded Mendham (later Randolph)
Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends and built their Meeting
House on the one acre site that year.
The Cemetery has been in continuous use since 1758.
After membership in the Randolph Meeting declined in the 1860s, James
W. Brotherton and his sister Rachel Brotherton Vail
along with Elwood Vail, Rachel?s husband, assumed primary responsibility for maintenance
of the property. Memorial services continued with individual families
caring for the graves of their departed members. Some nineteenth-century
burials were of non-Friends.
For additonal information, see:
History of the Quaker Cemetery form the Association Cemetery Brochure
- A list of burials from Richard T. Irwin and Richard G. Irwin,"Time
Effaces All Epitaphs Graven In Stone" (1993)
- Richard G. Irwin, "Walking Tour of the Friends Cemetery" (2008)
- Richard G. Irwin, "To Retrieve and to Record a Past" (2013), an updated and revised version of "Time Effaces All Epitaphs Graven in Stone" (1993)
- Cemetery photographs contact in our Photo
- Directions for visiting the Cemetery