Randolph Friends Meeting House

History

.col-sm-4

History Preservation Archive Cemetery Association Contact Us

The Randolph Meeting House served as the center of religious, social life and business for Menham/Randolph Quaker community for over a century.  When the Meeting was laid down (ended) in 1865, care of the site was informally taken over by descendants of the early Quakers until it was purchased by the Friends Meeting House and Cemetery Association in 1898. It has since been maintained by the Association as a historic property open to visitors and groups interested in meeting at the site.  

Brief overview

The Randolph Meeting House served as the center of religious and social life for Menham/Randolph Quaker community for over a century.  The members of this community played important roles in industrialization, anti-slavery activity, the development of local government, efforts to promote equality for women, and the provision of social services and educational opportunities.  When the Meeting was laid down (ended) in 1865, care of the site was informally taken over by descendants of the early Quakers and others buried in the Cemetery until it was purchased by the Friends Meeting House and Cemetery Association in 1898.  It has since been maintained as a historic property open to visitors and groups interested in meeting at the site.

Slides